Guide

Home > Blog

10 Common Electrical Problems Around The House

Whether you live in a flat or a house, electrical safety should be your top priority. Most of the time, residential fires are triggered because of improper wiring, overloading, or other electrical problems. So, if you are neglecting a minor electrical issue, you are putting yourself at life-threatening risk. If you are facing an electrical problem, call an expert ASAP and get it solved. However, to identify an electrical problem, you would first need to know them. In this article, we have gathered ten common electrical problems around the home. Let’s take a look at them. 

Flickering or dimming lights 

If you are witnessing flickering or dimming lights anywhere in your home, then you should know that there is something wrong with the connection in the circuit, or the panel is overloaded. This can cause severe problems and can even ignite a fire, so you must call a professional electrician to resolve it. 

Dead electrical outlets 

Have you ever thought about why electrical outlets die? There are different reasons for it, but the most common ones are short circuits or temporary overload. An electrical outlet can also go dead because of a loose wire or poor connection. If you have dead electrical outlets, get them fixed or replaced as early as possible. You can contact Mr. Switch for an electrician, and they will send you the best sydney electrician can have.  

Outlets and switches that feel warm to touch 

If you can feel a switch or an outlet warm on touch, then there is probably something wrong with the wiring, or there can be some loose terminal in the circuit box that is causing them to overheat. Or there can be a possibility of overloading in the circuit as well. So, if you have overheated switches and outlets, get them checked by a professional. 

Frequently tripping circuit breakers. 

If you have circuit breakers installed in your house, then they must do what they are meant to do; trip when there is abnormal wattage and ensure safe and efficient distribution of electricity to your house. But if the circuit breakers are tripping very often, then there is something wrong with the circuit, it is either overloaded or your panel needs to be changed. This can cause a potential electrical hazard and requires immediate attention, so it would be wise to call an electrician. 

Loose outlets 

You might have noticed that over time, the grip of outlets starts to lose. This is because, over time, the holes of sockets get a bit wider, which does not let the plugs to stay inside tightly. And loose outlets can cause power arcing that can lead to a residential fire. 

Light bulbs that burn out too often 

If your bulbs are getting burnt out too often, then you need to get the switch or the box checked. The bulbs burn out due to excessive voltage of current, or they can also die because of a lose or poorly connected wiring. 

Ungrounded outlets 

Back in the day, two-pronged outlets were very popular, but with the advent of three-pronged outlets, people have started preferring them over two-pronged outlets. The reason is that the additional prong is meant to provide ground, which gives more protection and security against electric shocks. So, if you still have two-pronged outlets installed in your home, now is the time to replace them with grounded outlets. Although ungrounded outlets are not a problem, it is better to take every precaution. If you want to get the ground system in your outlets checked, call Mr. Switch, and they will send the best-licensed electrician Castle Hill has to offer to your place. 

Improper wire junctions or terminations 

Wire junctions are where two wires meet each other, and to avoid any electrical hazard, wire junctions are wire-nutted and put in a junction box. It is important to note that the ends of wire, where the wiring is supposed to terminate must be wire-nutted to prevent any kind of electrical mishap.

Too many power bars and extension cords 

An overloaded outlet is one of the major reasons for residential fires. When you plug in a lot of devices in a power outlet at the same time, the chances are that it will not be able to handle all the load and get prone to catching fire. If you need to plug in different devices at the same time, get additional outlets installed. Plus, avoid using extension cords as well. 

Power surges 

There are different causes of Power surges; some are lightning strikes, malfunctioning appliances, or faulty wiring. Although the electrical surges occur for a short period, they can damage your appliances or can affect their lifespan. So, in order to avoid power surges, get you wiring check by a professional. 

 
comments powered by Disqus