5 Reasons to Consider Adding a Second Story Home Addition
In most instances, when homeowners want to build an addition to their home, they only have one direction to go: up. Indeed, this is the reason why second story home additions are so popular. When it comes down to it, there are many practical reasons for building a home addition, but there can also be some moderately impractical reasons as well. So, you want to make sure that you draw a line between the two. If you don’t have the money and you don’t have a purpose for the second story, why add an addition? Here are five reasons to consider adding a second story home addition.
- You get more space. The most obvious benefit is that you get more space by adding a second story to your home. If the initial footprint is small and you want more square footage, you may want to think about hiring a construction company, like Shank Builders, to make your home addition dreams come true. In today’s world of real estate, having more space is a real luxury.
- It’s great for new parents. Another big benefit of adding a second story is that you’ll be able to add more bedrooms. This can be great if you are starting a family. If you plan on having one or two kids and you are still living in a tiny one-bedroom bungalow, you may want to think of adding on to your home and creating two new bedrooms. One bedroom can be turned into a nursery and the other can be turned into a guest room for when the grandparents come to visit.
- You will be able to update and revamp your home. In most cases, adding a second story also requires enforcing the first story. Not only will you need new walls in some areas, but also you may need to update your foundation and other critical elements. If you have an older home, making these changes may be necessary, especially if parts of your home haven’t been updated in a long time. Building a second story is a little bit like building a new home, but you get to keep the original look, feel and charm.
- It will increase the property value. Another reason why you may want to build a second story is because it may boost your property value. If all of a sudden you have a new view, the property value could go up even more. So, you want to look at adding an addition for the sake of boosting the asking price of your home. Even if you don’t plan on selling your home in the near future, you can still have the reassurance of knowing your house is worth more than when you bought it.
- It will be totally customizable. When you build a second story, you will be in total control of the look and feel of new addition. Not only can you pick out appliances, but you can also be a part of the drafting experience. Even if it’s moving a window up or down a few inches, having the control to customize can be quite powerful and you’ll be closer and closer to building the home of your dreams.
More to Read: