5 Wall Speaker Installation Preparation Tips
Whether you are installing speakers for a client or if you are installing speakers for your own personal use, it is important to know exactly what to do before you install. One misstep and you could cause damage the wall or the speakers. Moreover, if you install speakers the wrong way, you could be dealing with a diminished sound quality. However, once you find the best spot, installation is quite easy – albeit a little bit labor intensive. Also, you will need to know your way around a drill and possibly even a drywall knife or saw. Here are five wall speaker installation preparation tips.
- Find the best place for the speakers. When it come to finding the best place to install the speakers, you usually have two options. You can either embed them in the wall or you can let them sit on the outside of the wall. No matter what, though, you want to find a place that has the best sound acoustics and you want to make sure you find the best section of the wall to house the speakers. If you are embedding them, you need to place them between wall posts, so you need to know exactly where the hollow space is before you start cutting.
- Make sure that you have everything you need to start the installation. Making sure that you have all the tools available and also the right materials is a must. From the drills to the architectural louvers that you will possibly use to cover the speakers, it is critical to make sure you have everything laid out in front of you. This will prevent unnecessary trips to the hardware store or long waits for items to be shipped in. If you want to make the installation a quick process, make sure you have everything you need.
- Wiring. Wiring is a crucial component, but it doesn’t require tearing out all the walls to install them. All you need to do is make two drill incisions per speaker. One hole will be near the source and one will be where the speaker is. What you will do is basically string the speaker wire through the walls to create a seamless look. This is one of the most important pre-steps, because you want the wires to be hooked up by the time you get to actually installing the speakers.
- Install mounts. Once you have the wires in, you can start installing the mounts. If you are embedding the speakers, you can place the mounts into the wall and if you are placing the speakers on the wall, you can place the mounts on the wall with only a few screws – depending on the type of mounts you are using. When it comes down to it, you want to make sure the mount installation process is seamless, because not only do you want it to look good, but you also want a safe place to put the speakers.
- Test the sound. Before you finally install the speakers, you want to test the sound to make sure there is no rattling. Once you hit the sweet spot, you can place the speakers and fasten them into place. After that you can enjoy all the benefits of surround sound when you watch a movie or listen to music.
More to Read: