What is Propane?
When most people hear the word “propane,” they often think of that white container that sits underneath of their outdoor grill. Those that do imagine this, however, usually do not realize the many uses of propane for their home and business.
What Exactly Is It?
Propane is a substance that can be either gas or liquid. At atmospheric pressure, it becomes its gas form. The gas form can easily be used for home heating, cooking, drying clothes, and more. In order to transport the gas, it is turned into a liquid. This is done by raising atmospheric pressure, which turns propane into its liquid form. When you use a canister of propane, the substance inside of the canister is liquid. Upon turning the valve, propane is released to a regular atmospheric pressure and becomes gas once again.
Where Does Propane Come From?
Propane is a gas that is a by-product of processes already in place, including petroleum refining and natural gas processing. Propane is extracted during these processes to prevent later issues with the petroleum or gas that is being processed. Once the propane has been separated, it is condensed into the containers that you are so used to seeing under your barbecue grill.
How Can It Be Used?
Whether you are considering propane for your home or business, there are a number of different applications for this gas. Here are some of the most popular uses:
• Heating- Propane is an excellent alternative fuel source for heating. It can be used to power fireplaces, hot water tanks, space heaters, and more.
• Back-Up Generators- Another good use for propane is for back-up generators. Areas that frequently have power outages from storms or natural disasters may find this especially beneficial. However, home and business owners in any area can benefit from choosing to keep propane on hand for their back-up generator. It stores well, so you do not have to worry about replacing it as time goes on.
• The Agricultural Industry- More and more farmers are learning the benefits of propane for powering things like the tractors and machinery they use on their land and the crop dryers they use for their crops. Propane is often more affordable than gas or diesel and it can help to lower a farm’s overall operating costs.
• Laundry Dryers- Whether you own a laundromat or only have a single dryer in your home, you can reap the benefits from choosing propane to power your clothes dryer.
• Landscaping Equipment- Even things like lawn mowers and weed eaters can be powered using propane. This can be helpful whether you are running a landscaping business or just maintaining your yard.
• Industrial Vehicles- Things like fork lifts, cherry pickers, and any other number of machines can be powered using propane. This can improve your overall cost in any industry, from factories to small distribution companies.
Why Is Propane a Better Fuel Alternative?
Propane is a clean-burning alternative to fuels like diesel and gasoline. It was even approved as an alternative by the Clean Air Act of 1990, which aimed to reduce pollution across the United States. In addition to being the eco-friendlier option when it comes to energy, propane is also more affordable than other alternatives.
As you choose the means to power your heat and appliances in your home and/or business, propane is definitely an option that should not be overlooked. While it is not yet the most popular option, it is the option that is better for the environment and your pocketbook. Companies like Discount Propane make accessing propane affordable and easy, leading for it to be a viable option.
More to Read: