5 Tips for Finding a Quality Residential Painting Contractor
Painting is an excellent way to transform your home by adding a fresh, new style to any space. While a new coat of paint can make a huge difference, sometimes painting your house can become a hassle that you don’t want to get involved with. Instead of painting your home yourself, you may want to hire a residential painter to relieve you of the responsibility and provide you with the piece of mind you need to know the project will be done properly. Here are 5 tips to help you find a quality residential painting contractor in your area.
- Word of mouth is usually the best way to find contacts and references for any home project. If a neighbor or friend recently had any painting done in their home, ask them who they used and how they felt about the service and professionalism they received. This is an ideal way to find out about which contractors have good reputations. In addition, it can help you to find out which professionals you should avoid using because of poor experiences others in your neighborhood may have had. You can also ask professionals in paint stores such as Home Depot, Lowes or a Benjamin Moore store to suggest painting contractors. These paint experts work with painters often and can likely provide you with quality references with services they endorse and recommend.
- Call these references and ask to receive an estimate for your home painting project. Look for affordable but competitive prices. Also remember, sometimes you get what you pay for, so don’t automatically choose to work with the contractor that offers the cheapest price. Most estimates should fall within a similar range, so any contractors that fall within extremes in prices may be over charging you or cutting corners.
- Once you have narrowed down a few painting contractors with whom you may want to work, you should interview each of them. This will help you to develop a professional relationship and ask any questions. Find out how long they have been in business, if they are properly insured and licensed, which products they use, and if they are willing to provide customers with written work guarantees. All of these questions can help you to gain an understanding of their practices so that you can determine if you feel comfortable working with them on this project.
- Aside from the questions you ask, you should also feel comfortable with this contractor on a more personal level. Trust your gut and only work with someone who you feel will be the best person for the job. Pay attention to this person’s behavior and attitude. Does the individual seem experienced, timely, and professional? First impressions can often reveal how the rest of the project will go, so be aware of how responsible this individual acts.
- Finally, once you have interviewed the contractor and checked out his or her references, you will be ready to develop a contract with the painter. Be sure to sit down and review the contract thoroughly with the contractor so that both parties understand the expectations. Be clear about what exactly will be painted, colors, pricing, time frames, when the painter will be working and other necessary details. Also determine when you will be paying the painter so that there is no confusion or miscommunication later on.
All of these tips will help to ensure you find and hire a responsible, talented painting contractor with resources on painting to complete a paint project in your home. Taking these precautions will help to make sure that you have a smooth working relationship and get the quality paint job you desire, without the stress and hassle.